East Cape Ride 2018


East Cape Ride 2018

Day 1

Started with nice fine weather in Hamilton which made a change from some of our other rides. After a short riders briefing telling everyone where we were heading, we headed off.

Our first stop was Whakamaru for fuel for a couple of the more thirsty bikes, and the sun was still shining and everyone was getting into the groove.

Taihape was next after few a stops for the road works on the Desert Road, and to put our rain over jackets on as we got a little rain and it got very cold (6 deg on the dash the support van according to Erin.)

I happened to make the mistake of leaving my bag open (whoops) and lost the inner rain liner for my jacket bugger!

Once in Taihape we met up with James from Fielding then we were off for lunch at the Brown Sugar Cafe on Huia St just off SH1.

Next stop was Napier via the Gentle Annie Road. Now if you haven’t been through the Gentle Annie Road its a must to do road on a motorcycle.

The road was a mixture of dry spots and damp spots and the road surface was in really good condition. Nice windy climbs and drops down into gully’s, with the old Springvale Suspension Bridge in the middle.

Napier greeted us with nice fine weather thankfully considering the weather they had experienced in the few days leading up to us arriving, with no one seeing any signs of the flooding they had experienced. Once in Napier we stopped off for some refreshments before heading to BK’s Fountain Court Motor Inn in Napier, this was a great place to stay and very welcoming of our group of riders. Dinner was at the RSA just a 5 minute walk down the road, they have an amazing buffet dinner on a Friday and Saturday nights.

BK’s Fountain Court Motel

Day 2

Started again with nice fine weather, WOW 2 days in a row, but there were rumors of rain and thunder storms around Gisborne and Wairoa, but that had dried up before we arrived. From Wairoa we headed inland through Fraser Town and onto the Tiniroto Road which we had been given a heads up in Wairoa that there was diesel on the road and a dead goat in the middle of a blind corner, so caution was needed through there.

Tolaga Bay was next up with a quick stop to check out the wharf that stretches 600 meters out to sea, the second longest wharf in New Zealand. We caught up with some of the others on the ride, who were checking out the wharf along with some classic cars that had followed them to Tolaga Bay Wharf. By then we were getting a little late in the afternoon so we needed to get a move on to get to Te Kaha before darkness arrived. We made it to Te Araroa with time to spare before the gas station closed luckily for some of us as by this stage the van was a little way behind us.

Some of us got tempted to make a quick stop in at Waihau Bay for drink before carrying on to the Te Kaha Beach Resort for the night.

If you have not stayed at the Te Kaha Beach Resort it’s a great place to stay with awesome food and a good bar with the locals all friendly.

They even kindly let us put our bikes in the lock up under the resort. Our poor van driver Erin after a missed turn in Gisborne was a couple of hours behind us arriving about 7.30/8pm at night.  By then everyone was in a good mood & happy she had arrived safely, especially with the hit & miss phone reception around the East Cape. (Example perfect phone service in the car park & out the back of the bar no service less than 100 meters away.)

Day 3

Started a little slowly for a number of people after a bit of a night. Luckily the resort had provided a good cooked breakfast for everyone which was much needed by most people. After a few photos out the front of the resort we were off heading for Opotiki to get fuel and most people stopped again for coffee at the Hot Bread shop Cafe. We then headed for Awakeri for more fuel and then through Manawahe Road which is up past the Motocross track in Awakaponga. What a great piece of road through their, nice and tight windy but a very narrow road, if it was wet it would be very slippery.

Before we knew it we were all safely back in Hamilton, a little tired after a big weekend away. We covered approx 1300km

We even had this amazing RG400 on the ride. That the owner got back on the road in the week leading up to the ride. Yes it made it all the way back to Hamilton under its own two wheels


, , , , , , , , ,